Sunday, February 20, 2011

A Simple, Life-Changing Testimony

As a young child, I had always been exposed to “God” and “church.” Of course, this was because I was the child of a pastor; being in church around “Christians” was “the norm” for me. I learned quite a bit about a man named Jesus in my time there; Jesus, who they always said died for the wrong things I did, these so-called “sins” because he loved me even though I did things that hurt and upset him. I learned of how he loved me and what he did for me in dying and then coming back to life again so that I could be in a place called heaven with him forever, but it never entirely made sense to me.

However, one day around the age of four, I suddenly brought up the topic with my father. He was thrown off-guard about my sudden curiosity of how to be with Jesus. He explained to me that Jesus was God’s son, and that he came to earth and lived a perfect life and did nothing wrong. He told me that Jesus did all this so he could die on the cross to take the punishment I was supposed to get because of the bad things I had done, but Jesus did it so I could ask him to save me from my sins - the term for my wrongful actions, as he called them - because the only way I could ever go to heaven and live with God was by Jesus dying for me. I wanted to take this offer, so I proceeded to ask my father how I was supposed to do this. He explained that I needed to talk to Jesus, what he always called “praying,” and tell him that I had done those wrong things but that I believed that he did die on the cross for me and that I wanted him to save me so I could be in heaven. I did just that, and that was the start of a new beginning for me.

My life was then something of progress for Jesus’ sake. I wanted to learn more about him from the Bible, God’s perfect text that he gave to man so we can know more about him and what he does for us. I struggled with my convictions and eventually decided to recommit myself in what it means to be a person that trusts in Jesus and what he did for me. I have continued to read the Bible and talk to him (even though he doesn’t audibly respond). No one is saying it has been easy, but I am glad I reached a point where I could say I understood what it means when people say that Jesus died on a cross and rose again to pay the price for the punishment God reserved for me and my wrongdoings.

Word Count: 479

No comments:

Post a Comment